The mission of the Association is to promote greater participation in the visual arts in Rhode Island by encouraging the production, visibility, and appreciation of artwork through quality education, juried and organized exhibitions, and artistic fellowship.
Click Here to download the By-Laws of the South County Art Association
The South County Art Association's first exhibition was held in 1927, in the Wickford studio of artist John W. Dawson. He became its first President when the Association was incorporated as a non-profit organization in 1929. Since 1944, it has been located in the historic Helme House (c 1802), 2587 Kingstown Rd, in Kingston, RI. The Annex building, at 2579 Kingstown Rd., dating to 1759, is home to the Pottery Workshop as well as to drawing, painting, and printmaking studios. The newly renovated "red barn" is now home to our beautiful stone carving studio.
Members run an active and varied exhibition program, open to the public five days a week, in the Helme House galleries. Each new exhibition begins with an opening reception, giving artists and the public a chance to be together and enjoy the show. SCAA offers classes and workshops in drawing, painting, sculpture, photography and clay along with several informative lectures on working as a professional artist.
- Opening receptions are held the first Thursday of each exhibition from 7 to 9 pm.
- Cash prizes are awarded in open juried shows and in the Members Annual show.
- SCAA collects a commission on works sold, 30% for Members and 35% for Non-members.
- Entry fees for juried shows are $14 for Members and $17 for Non-members for each artwork submitted.
- Credit cards / checks gladly accepted