Wood Fire | August 6
Bring your bisqued work (in a cone 10+ clay body) and fire it in our backyard wood kiln! To participate, students will help prepare for the firing by cutting wood, grinding and washing shelves, and creating wadding; during the firing, shifts will be assigned to monitor the temperature and load the wood while overseen by a professional potter. The resulting work is always interesting, and varies based on position in the kiln and contact with the ash, which glazes the surface.
What to bring:
- Work must be bisqued and made from clay rated to at least cone 10 (SCAA members and students should use B-MIX or #900).
- Cone 10 studio glazes are included and should be applied prior to loading.
- To determine cubic inches, measure the height, width and depth of each piece and multiply the three dimensions. Do this for each piece and add the results together.
- $.07/cu.in. Member / $.08/cu.in. Non-Member
- $10 deposit will hold your spot, final cost is determined by what goes in kiln
Instructor: Jason Fong
August 6, 14, 20, 21
Glaze Aug 6th 11:00am-1:00pm
Mandatory Work Day Aug 14th 1:00pm-4:00pm
Load Aug 20th 11:00am-2:00pm
Fire Aug 21st 9:00am